About Forest School
Forest School sessions provide limitless learning opportunities through the naturally diverse and forever changing nature of woodland areas. They help children build positive values and attitudes about themselves, about learning, and the environment in which they live. Children are given an appropriate stimulus in order to engage and inspire them before they set off on their own journey of play and self-led learning. This might be a simple story, or learning a new skill. Such a methodology is proven to build confidence, skills and independence, through giving children the time to thoroughly explore not only their environment, but their thoughts, feelings and relationships. This reflective practice helps children to develop emotional intelligence, which is well documented as being key to lifelong success and happiness.
Forest School Leaders and assistants are there to be 'on tap' not 'on top' of the children, helping children to learn about themselves, their interests and how to overcome any obstacles they may face.
Farworth CE Primary School aims to provide:
- the inspiration to be curious, fascinated, and inventive in a natural environment
- the freedom to explore different ways of ‘being’, feeling, behaving and interacting because they have the physical, mental and emotional space to be active and interactive
- opportunities to experience beauty, joy, wonder and exuberance, and become ‘lost in the zone’
- rich opportunities for developing their imagination and being inventive and resourceful
- opportunities to meet challenges and increase perseverance and resilience
- the opportunity to learn to manage their own risk in a semi-controlled environment
- relief from stress and anxiety: Experiencing a sense of awe and wonder at the natural environment is part of a child’s spiritual development.